Natural Ways on How to get rid of nausea
Given the varied causes, there are a lot of ways to deal with nausea. Many people often self-diagnose and medicate when they experience episodes of nausea. Instead of resorting to medications that have not been prescribed by a medical professional, it would be a good idea to try these tips on how to get rid of nausea first. When the episodes last for longer periods or occur more frequently, it is still best to consult a doctor.
- Keep a healthy mind. This will help reduce the chances of having nausea. When the nausea is caused by psychological factors, the attacks of nausea are actually triggered by the feeling of wanting to vomit. Keep things light. Relax. When the mind is occupied with light and happy thoughts, it is less likely to get worked up enough to cause it to trigger nauseous feelings.
- Watch your diet. Eating small, frequent meals and snacking very slowly throughout the day may also decrease the chances of having nauseous attacks. Crackers are often safe enough to eat. It does not have fat and spices that can cause stomach irritations. Some women may find carbohydrates to disrupt the feeling of vomiting. However, a medical source says that people should take food rich in protein instead. Others say that eating in a cool room temperature may free someone from the nauseous feelings.
- Avoid lying down after eating. This is the common advice on how to get rid of nausea for people who experience nausea episodes due to gastrointestinal problems. It is recommended not to lie down on the left side after meals since such position slows down the digestion of food. Avoid fatty foods, spicy, acidic, and fried foods. Eating bland food may help.
- Increase fluid intake. Remember though not to overdo it to the point that the stomach feels full. It may be helpful to sip small amounts of fluids throughout the day. It is good to drink a quart and a half daily. Sports drinks with glucose, salt, and potassium to replace lost electrolytes (see Wikipedia: electrolyte) may help as well.
- Avoid the triggers of nausea. Again, this varies from one person to another. Paying attention to what happens before your nausea episodes happen will help you find out how to get rid of nausea for good. If it’s the air freshener in the room that triggers your nauseous feeling, switch to another brand or totally ditch air fresheners. There are scents that are actually found to relax the mind and body and ease anxious feelings that often lead to nausea.
Related images to: How to Get Rid of Nausea