Tips on How to Get Rid of Thrush Naturally
First of all, let us get to know what thrush is, as well as its signs and symptoms. In the later part of this article, effective medical and natural methods on how to get rid of thrush will be provided and discussed.
What Is Thrush?
Thrush is a fungal infection in the mouth or an oral cavity. It is caused by Candida or yeast fungus. It is often characterized by white dots or patches on the tongue, gums and in the mouth. The white patches may look like milk curds or residue. Under the patches are red and open sores which can be painful.
Thrush can also occur as diaper rash or in the vagina. It can affect anyone but it is more common in people who have compromised immune system, old people and infants. It is important to diagnose it early on. It is vital to know how to get rid of thrush to keep it from becoming worse.
What Causes Thrush?
Candida fungus normally lives in the mouth, intestines and the skin. It is kept in check by the natural bacterial flora in the body. However, some external factors such as illnesses, stress and medicines can alter the balance of microorganisms in the body, which gives way to the development of thrush.
It can be caused by taking contraceptive pills, corticosteroids or antibiotics. Cancer, dry mouth, HIV, pregnancy and diabetes are also factors in triggering the development of thrush. Nursing infants, denture-wearers and smokers are also more prone to thrush. Babies can pass thrush to their mothers and vice versa. Unhygienic use of bottle nipples and pacifiers may also contribute to the development of thrush.
What Are the Symptoms of Thrush?
The lesions under the white patches inside the mouth may bleed with tooth brushing or scraping. Difficulty in swallowing or tightness in the throat may also be a symptom of thrush. Fever occurs when the thrush infection goes beyond the esophagus. Moreover, thrush may also affect the skin, liver and lungs.
How It Is Diagnosed
Thrush can be diagnosed through a mouth examination. A lighted instrument may be used to look into the mouth and examine the lesions. Using a cotton swab, the dentist may scrape the patch to see if it has red sores underneath.
A small tissue may be taken from the mouth for throat culture. It may be examined under the microscope to confirm if it has thrush. An X-ray and endoscopy may also be required if thrush spreads beyond the esophagus.
How to Prevent Thrush
Thrush can be prevented through good oral hygiene. It includes brushing the teeth at least twice a day and flossing afterwards. It is also suggested to stay away from overusing mouthwash to avoid killing the good bacteria in the mouth.
Regular trips to the dentist may also help keep oral health in check. It will also be helpful to avoid yeast-based and sugary food and drinks such as beer, bread and wine. Another way to prevent oral thrush is by quitting smoking.
Methods in Getting Rid of Thrush
There are natural ways and home remedies that can be done to get rid of thrush. But first, let us discuss the medical methods on how to get rid of thrush.
- Use Saltwater Mouth Rinse. Gargling with a salt water solution helps in keeping the mouth temporarily not conducive for fungi to thrive in. How to get rid of thrush using salt? Simply dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in a cup of water and stir well. Use the solution to rinse the mouth.
- Consult a Physician or Dentist. Consulting a doctor will help determine if you have thrush. Through proper medical diagnosis, it is easy to get the proper treatment for thrush. Physicians know a number of proven ways on how to get rid of thrush. It is also easy for children and healthy adults to get rid of thrush. Nystatin is a common medication that is prescribed by doctors for treating thrush. It comes in cream, tablet or liquid form.
- Take Anti-fungal Medicine. Anti-fungal medication is prescribed by doctors to treat fungal infections. It can come in liquid, tablet or lozenge forms. It is taken for a period of up to 14 days. It is crucial to take the full course of medication to prevent the infection from recurring.
- Seek Immediate Treatment. Starting early treatment for thrush is crucial for faster recovery. The doctor will evaluate the case and he will suggest initial steps on how to get rid of thrush. Healthy patients are usually prescribed with acidophilus tablets. Plain yogurt may also be prescribed by the doctor. It is because yogurt and acidophilus contain probiotics which help in restoring the bacterial flora in the mouth.
- Take Amphotericin B. People with compromised immune system, such as people with HIV, usually do not respond well with anti-fungal medication. In these situations, it is best to take amphotericin B. It is also needed when the Candida fungus has become resistant to the anti-fungal medicine.
Home Remedies for Thrush
Aside from medical methods, there are also natural ways on how to get rid of thrush. These are home remedies that are easy to follow and very convenient to use as treatment for oral thrush.
Thyme has been known as an alternative medicine for thrush. How to get rid of thrush using thyme? Simply add thyme on any food that you are going to cook and eat. Just make sure that it will enhance the taste of the dish. It can also be made into a tincture. Thyme is popular in Europe as an alternative treatment for thrush and upper respiratory infections.
• Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a new technique on how to get rid of thrush and toxins from the body naturally. Though it is not yet backed by concrete medical research, many believe that it helps in treating thrush.
Before eating anything, brush your teeth and oil pull by swishing oil in the mouth. One tablespoon of oil will suffice. Virgin coconut oil is most recommended for oil pulling because of its anti-fungal properties. However, olive oil may work as well. Simply coat the oral cavity with oil for about 10 minutes. It includes the tongue, gums and roof of the mouth. Afterwards, spit out the oil and rinse off with saltwater solution.
Garlic is known to have a lot of sulphur compounds e.g. alliin, allicin, S-allylcysteine and alliinase, which are known to fight off fungi. It is best to eat fresh garlic to get rid of thrush in the mouth instead of taking garlic pills. Simply chew 5 garlic cloves every day or drink 4 cups of garlic tea to avoid garlic breath.
• Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is known for its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It is a common home remedy for various skin diseases. Simply dilute 2 drops of tea tree oil with a tablespoon of distilled water. Dip a cotton swab onto it and dab onto the thrush patches in the mouth, on the tongue and gums. Rinse off with saltwater solution.
• Apple Cider Vinegar
Gargling with diluted apple cider vinegar has been considered as an effective way on how to get rid of thrush naturally. Simply put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in an ounce of distilled water and use it as a mouth rinse.
You can also drink diluted apple cider vinegar to kill intestinal yeast that may contribute to oral thrush. Just mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in an 8 oz. glass of water and drink before meals.